Dedication

This website is devoutly dedicated to all of Larry's friends and associates, both early and late, who have influenced and mentored him. However, it also should be noted that, being who they are, a majority of them have been late most of the time.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Faith & Politics: My Personal Pilgrimage

Alexis de Tocqueville, French author (1805-1859), once pointed out, "America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great".
 So, as we and our nation now continues to struggle and we begin to look forward, in the 2020 elections, this previous and now updated post of mine struck me as even more relevant now than when I originally posted it, years ago.
   Although first elected in 2010 as a Republican in the mostly Democrat West Virginia House of Delegates, my political affiliation was and is not the only driving force empowering my views about governance.
 Indeed, I agree with our nation's founding father, George Washington, who disparaged the fractious and feckless political partisanship, that so sadly and continues to distract and divert us from good governance.
 And so it was that, when I initially and somewhat reluctantly ran for election in 2010, I considered myself mostly as an independent and liberty minded "Constitutional", and even somewhat "Populist" candidate.
 I continue to strive to act upon and follow those guiding principles, and always have striven to choose principles over politics.
 I stoutly believe that our United States Constitution and "Bill of Rights" is a sacred and dynamic document that succors liberty and individual accountability, as well as fosters our nation's economic prosperity.
 My faith in Christ reinforces my belief that our United States Constitution was drafted "...by the hands of wise men whom (God) raised up into this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood." (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Doctrine & Covenants, Section 101, Verse 80)
 I also believe that our Constitutional rights should and must be preserved, "That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which (God has) given unto him, that every man may be accountable...". (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Doctrine & Covenants, Section 101, Verse 78)
 My faith's mantra of individual accountability and "agency" (freedom of choice) parallels my political philosophy of individual liberty and  personal accountability, as well as economic freedom.
 Also, as a follower of Christ, I believe and continue to strive to practice the principle of charity (the pure love of Christ) toward others and tolerance toward them and their various lifestyles.
 However, it is, to me, a perversion of these principles, when we attempt to force our fellow citizens and rob them of their personal accountability and freedom by government fiat.
 Divisive "Identity Politics" further compounds this tragedy, by eroding these principles even more. My heart truly does bleed for the less fortunate, but it is a puzzlement to me when others use their sympathy for the less fortunate to justify expanding initiative destroying government entitlement programs and creating even more of them (more of both the programs and the less fortunate).
 In my view, these expanding government dependency programs and policies weaken the foundation of all of us and our families.
 These expanding government programs create a sense of expectation that the government somehow is responsible for our welfare and happiness. In doing so, the strength of our families and the health of our nation increasingly crumbles, to the peril of all of us and our loved ones.  
 Indeed, former social worker and United States Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-New York) previously warned us that our rush to increase government control over our lives would lead to the breakdown of our families and an increasingly large and permanent caste system of the underprivileged. His prediction was prophetic, and we now have third and fourth generations of people becoming prey to government entitlements. Increasingly, they now mistakenly look to the government for their well-being and even their happiness.
 Nowhere has this been more dramatically demonstrated to me than when I previously worked as a prison case manager, dealing with inmates, many of whom had come to expect and even demand "lock-up welfare".
 Our prisons are overflowing, our freedoms are eroding, our law enforcement weakening, and our taxes are increasing - all because we are prostituting our sacred birthrights to the government for "pottage". (Bible, Old Testament, Genesis, Chapter 25, Verses 29-34)
 Moreover, my personal view of good governance is that God "holds man accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society", and that "...no government can exist in peace, except such laws are framed and held inviolate as will secure to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life." (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Doctrine & Covenants. Section 134, Verses 1-2)
 Further, "...all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property...from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency...". (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Doctrine & Covenants, Section 134, Verse 11. See also the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution)
 In essence, my faith mirrors that of a Pre-Columbian American prophet, who proclaimed, "My soul standeth fast in that liberty in the which God has made us free." (Book of Mormon, Alma, Chapter 61, Verse 9)
 Although not born or raised in the my faith, I now cannot discern much, if any, difference between my faith and my political views. The origin of my current viewpoint on government is somewhat akin to the old riddle about which came first (the chicken or the egg)?
 It now is all the same to me.
  And so it goes.
 Meanwhile, may we all prayerfully work together, earnestly seeking the blessings of Providence and inspired governance, for ourselves and our families' prosperity.
 Please share this post with others, asking them to go and do likewise, and may God bless you all real good!
-West Virginia Delegate Larry D. Kump, District #59 (Berkeley-Morgan counties)

Visit  my other posts on www.LarryKump.com and www.LarryKump.us. for more about my views on good governance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Below in the "Comment as:" box, select "Name/URL" if you don't already have a Blogger account. Your comment will be visible only after it is approved by the blog owner.